Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Art of Creating a Commission

Over the next few posts I will describe a commission that I completed recently.  I will explore the process of designing and creating the piece. Enjoy.


 


Part one


 


I was commissioned by the PE MBA (physicians’ executive Masters of business administration) class of 2009 to create a fiber art piece that would be given to the University of Tennessee Department of business as a class gift.  This is a group of 37 physicians from around the country, who met every Saturday via teleconference over a period of one year to complete their MBA. 


 


“We’re a fun group, and we’d like this piece to represent who we are as physicians, as well as our experiences in the PEMBA program”, they told me.


 


The group sent me a list of catch phrases from the course, as well as medical photos, hospital scrubs, surgical instruments, and a broken palm pilot.    We agreed on a puzzle type design concept.    We also agreed on a size, price, and deadline.


 



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: